Find help

Please use our map below to find local welfare assistance in your area. Simply search for your postcode and you'll find links to local information about local welfare assistance schemes that are available across the UK. Where possible there are links to pages providing information about eligibility and how to make an application.

Prior to April 2013, centrally funded Community Care Grants were available to support people who need support to live independently in the community. Crisis Loans were available to provide help with short term needs in a crisis.

These two forms of support for general living expenses were abolished by central Governmet in 2013 and responsibility for local welfare assistance schemes develoved to Local Authorities in England. Elsewhere in the UK, the devolved administrations administer the Scottish Welfare Fund, Welsh Government's Discretionary Assistance Scheme and Northern Irish Finance Support Service. 

Initial funding provided for establishing local welfare assistance schemes was provided on a non-ring-fenced basis, which resulted in local authorities across the country establishing different schemes of provision. Read more about the effects of the end of crisis loans and community care grants in our report on changes to emergency support.

Other available help

  • Budgeting loans are available through the DWP to help claimants who have been on an income-related benefit for at least 26 weeks. The loans help cover costs of essential items for which it is difficult to budget. More information can be found on the website.
  • If you are in financial need because of a delay on dealing with a claim, or making payment of a benefit award you may be able to get a short term advance. Find out more on the Turn2Us website.

Find your local welfare assistance scheme

We have information about local welfare assistance schemes across the UK.

Our map contains information about schemes across the UK. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the schemes are countrywide. Not all local authorities in England have a scheme- find out if yours does using the map below. 

If you are unable to view the map, you can download the list as a PDF. If you are unsure of your local authority, use Directgov's tool.